Friday, October 29, 2010

Eating Like a Big Boy

Some people may think that my lack of tolerance for picky eaters is cruel and harsh. Growing up, we ate what was served or we didn't eat. My mom wasn't a short order cook and neither am I. In order to avoid future issues with it, I've started early.

Let me clarify one thing, I always give Isaac options of what to eat on his plate. He will always have a protein, vegetable, fruit and a starch of some kind. What he chooses to eat from his plate is his decision. All the options on his plate are from what I have made for Luke and I for dinner. I spend enough time on my dinners that I expect my family to eat it (spices, herbs and all).

For his first 2 years, I have also tried to avoid junk foods and "kid foods." I'm talking about chicken nuggets, hot dogs, fries and all those other things that kids usually fall back on and cling to as the only things that they can ever bring themselves to eat. This tactic has worked out fantastically. Isaac loves veggies... zucchini and broccoli are his favorites. Fruit is never a problem. Meat tends to throw him, but I think it is from the texture.

A few weeks ago, we went out for dinner. The place that we went didn't have any healthier options for kids so we went ahead and got him some chicken nuggets and fries (parish the thought, I know!). To my surprise (and delight) Isaac wanted nothing to do with the meal that was set before him at the restaurant. He took one bite of the chicken nugget and spat it out, pushing the rest aside. He ate a couple fries but ended up pushing those away as well. I had ordered a wrap with a side of broccoli (with the intentions of sharing the veggie with the munchkin). I didn't want the poor kid to starve so I let him have a few bites of my wrap. He ended up eating half of it, as well as half my broccoli.

Last night, I made cheddar potato soup and spinach and feta frittata. I had a quick thought of "Hmm, maybe I should give Isaac something different... nah." Dinner time came, I set his plate of fritatta and bowl of soup in front of him and he went to town. By the time dinner was done, he'd had seconds of the soup. Amazing.

So, I know not all parents are as lucky with picky eaters. I do believe that there are some flavors/textures that we're born to not like or we go through a stage of not liking. However, I think it's also a trained response. If all your child knows is chicken nuggets and hot dogs, that's all they'll ever want. Kids are creatures of habit (as well as most of us adults), and if you get their eating routine down to where they know that they'll get options of food (that has been preapproved by you), meal times might go smoother.

It's worked for us.

3 comments:

Jeremiah and Stephanie said...

This is exactly the approach I'm going to take with Dieter once he is old enough to eat solids. I mean goodness, adults get to enjoy all of these wonderful flavors why serve my child a sad, brown, additive-filled corn dog?

Luke Sinak said...

My thoughts exactly......but one question still lurks..how do we KNOW the additive-filled corn dog is sad?

KatieSmyth said...

Get. It. That's awesome! That's how I was raised as well...and I've observed my brother with his kids...who ARE allowed to eat the sad little corn dogs...and somehow every meal still ends in a fight. I appreciate the fact that you are teaching Isaac to respect the food he has been given and the time that has been spent preparing it. :) I'm sure his future wife will thank you!